Wednesday 23 March 2016

DESKTOP 967 - KALE

Kale or leaf cabbage is a group of vegetable cultivars within the plant species Brassica oleracea. They have green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head (as opposed to headed cabbages). Kales are considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms of Brassica oleracea.

In a 100 gram serving, raw kale provides 49 calories and is a rich source (20% or more of the Daily Value, DV) of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, and manganese. Kale is a good source of thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, vitamin E and several dietary minerals, including iron, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. Boiling raw kale diminishes these nutrient contents, with the exception of vitamin K.

Kale is a source of the carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin. Kale, as with broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, contains glucosinolate compounds which contribute to formation of sulforaphane. Boiling decreases the level of sulforaphane, whereas steaming, microwaving or stir frying does not result in significant loss.

This post is part of the Outdoor Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Wordless Wednesday meme,
and also part of the ABC Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Nature Footstep Digital Art Meme.

10 comments:

  1. A delicious choice..... just ate it a couple a days ago

    Have a nice ABC-Wednesday-day / - week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (ABC-W-team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Lots of info on Kale, thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased a 1 kilo bag of kale on my weekly on-line shop, I think
    I overestimated the amount required? we're still eating it 2 weeks on,
    husband announced "If I eat any more of this stuff my nose will start
    twitching"!
    It's very good with boiled bacon, then use again in the stock from the
    boiled bacon and freshly chopped assorted vegetables and yellow lentils,
    thus presenting bacon and lentil soup..oh and with Kale,,,I still have half the bag left... maybe steam it quickly then run some fresh cream and black pepper through it...quite delicious!

    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew kale for the third time, but somehow got the wrong seeds. This is the kind I love the best because it is so "meaty." - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love kale, I always steam it, never thought of microwaving it, how interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and my hubby does not. I try to sneak it into recipes often though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty plant, but I can't get used to the bitter taste.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/03/spring-has-finally-sprung.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. now this is a beautiful plant :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never warmed to its taste.

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete