Saturday 25 April 2020

DESKTOP 2459 - BEETLE

I spotted this bug promenading on our spinach in the garden and I think it is a Powderpost beetle (Lyctus brunneus). The Powderpost Beetle is a pest beetle attacking the sapwood of hardwood tress such as Oak, Elm, Ash and Eucalypt. Softwoods are not attacked. The heartwood of hardwoods is not infested. Most attacks take place in logs or sawn timber drying at the sawmill. I have been doing some timber work in the yard and I hope I haven't brought them into the garden with the timber I was using...

This post is part of the Saturday Critters meme.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, neat looking insect, great capture! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, stay safe! Enjoy your day, happy weekend. PS, thanks for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks familiar. With so many trees where we live there are a lot of beetles that are wood pests. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Most of beetles are beautiful. Also this is a beautiful beetle. Great photo. Take care.

    ReplyDelete